Do you stretch after you workout? If you don’t, you should. As I’ve stated in a previous blog post, stretching is an important component of your fitness routine, and being flexible as many benefits. In this post, I’ll show you four upper body stretches for your shoulders, triceps, biceps, back and chest. But first, lets look at a few of the positive gains you’ll enjoy from stretching.
- Helps your joints move through the full range of motion
- May decrease your risk of injury
- May decrease muscle stiffness and soreness
- Helps improve posture
- May decrease stress.
Before you add stretching into your workouts, there are a few things you need to know.
- As with any physical activity, it’s important to use proper form to get the best results and avoid injury.
- This type of static stretching should be done AFTER you exercise when your muscles are warmed up. Before you exercise you should warm up by walking or doing a dynamic warm up (see my blog post on dynamic warm ups) to get your blood flowing the your muscles. http://www.fitfunfiftystyle.com/2022/02/what-is-a-dynamic-warm-up-and-why-should-you-do-it/
- Ease into the stretch slowly and smoothly. Never use quick or jerky movements while stretching.
- DO NOT bounce while stretching.
- Hold the stretch for about 5 seconds
- If it hurts, stop. You want to feel a stretch, not pain.
- Stretch both sides of the body.
Triceps Stretch. This stretches your triceps and shoulders. Lift your arm up over your head, bend at the elbow reaching down to touch your back. Pull you elbow to the side with your other hand.
Upper Back Stretch. Stretches the upper back and back of the shoulders. Place your arm across your chest and pull it close to your body with the other arm.
Back Stretch. Stretches the lats and back of shoulders. Grab on to something that can hold your weight and lean back.
Chest Stretch. Stretches the chest and front of shoulders. Grab on to something that can hold your weight and lean forward.
Remember to stretch after every workout, and throughout the day if you can. Let me know if you try these stretches. You can message me here, or on Instagram or Facebook.
My workout outfit is linked below.